I’ll make a real effort to post weekly meal plans, but the fall is always a full-tilt kind of season. My husband demands additional
cuddles football time as the weather cools, which means I spend every third minute running to the man-cave to ensure he hasn’t been bitten by a snake or attacked by a band of rogue grasshoppers (generally the Chiefs have just botched a touchdown, but the noises sound the same to me). Yes, I spend 33% of my time making sure the Arrowhead addiction hasn’t dispatched my husband.
#MattCasselFail (NOW do you understand? …at least we got a TD outta this one.)
Add school, work, and the Balanced Bites Workshops (I co-teach them! Come to one! Bring me dark chocolate!) and you’ve got a reduced-cooking-time equation. All this plus extensive travel is not an excuse to eat poorly; it just means I eat more simply. Here are the staples:
- Ground beef or steak (good saturated fats, protein, fat-soluble vitamins, iron and zinc)
- Sweet potato or butternut squash (soluble fiber to feed gut bacteria)
- Eggs (healthy cholesterol and all-around delightful)
- Butter (duh)
- Sardines from Vital Choice (CoQ10, EPA/DHA)
- Sauerkraut (because of the awesome)
- Coconut flakes (always in my purse)
- Paleo Kits/Steve’s PaleoGoods (because delicious, portable, whole sources of protein are ALWAYS a good idea. AND it supports a great cause)
I also always have my Cod Liver Oil/Butter Oil blend with me. Lately I’ve also brought desiccated glandulars with me for overall support for the stress of travel and work and top-secret projects that I REALLYREALLY THATSTWOREALLYS want to tell you about but CAN’T JUST YET!
So that’s my life right now. I’m hanging in my hometown with family this week (a quick puddle-jump between the Phoenix Biosig cert and upcoming Florida workshops), and they’re totally amenable to my dietary freak show. My pops, who is THE awesome, found this gem in DeSoto, KS – Steve’s Meat Market. A butcher that carries all the odd bits and fun creatures, from goat to rabbit and bison. Here’s a fun, albeit old, editorial about them. How many of these are left out there? Major Kansas win! (I expect a few more of those come basketball season. #RCJH)
Oh, and THIS is what I mean when I say “take me shopping!”